- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon grated lime zest plus 3 tablespoons juice (2 limes)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Pinch salt
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch dice (4 cups)
- 1. Bring sugar, lime zest and juice, cardamom, and salt to simmer in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat, stir in cucumber, and let syrup cool for 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut away peel and pith from grapefruit. Slice into 1/2-inch-thick rounds, then cut rounds into 1/2-inch pieces. Place grapefruit and pineapple in large bowl.
- 3. When syrup is cool, pour over grapefruit and pineapple and toss to combine. Refrigerate for 15 minutes before serving.